Powerfit

pico42, Jan 12, 11:37am
It will do sod all for weight loss and sod all for fitness.
If you want to lose weight, eat at a energy deficit (as effected by keto, IF, WW et al).
If you want to get fit, exercise and eat healthy food.
And get enough sleep.

pico42, Jan 12, 11:38am
What circumstances cause the body to burn the fat in every cell?

lythande1, Jan 12, 12:16pm
It's a con. Want to test it for free? Sit on yur washing machine during spin.
Wobbling your fat bits does nothing at all. you need to MOVE your muscles to have any benefit.

Want a machine that "contracts" the muscles? Hold your car battery while someone starts it.

eljayv, Jan 12, 4:08pm
I have heard that it is good for bone density and helping improve balance in older people.

samanya, Jan 12, 6:45pm
As do most of the 'magic' weight loss gadgets/machines/powdery drinky stuff.

pico42, Jan 12, 9:31pm
As does normal exercise, such as resistance training.

eljayv, Jan 13, 2:21pm
Agreed!
But powerfit entertains the family at same time

kinna54, Jan 13, 2:42pm
My friend has one. latest thing in a number of fads. he has to learn first it's what you put into your body that affects the weight as well. Standing there shaking away then scoffing a beer is not the best way to lose weight. it has provided great fun for his 2 yr old twin granddaughters tho.

sharonann1, Oct 11, 9:09pm
Am interested in what people think of the powerfit and if it helped with weight loss/fitness.

kacy5, Oct 12, 11:19am
If that's the one you stand on it has caused problems with some I know with arthritic hips and knees. They sent it back.

androth2, Oct 12, 9:39pm
Therer is several brands available all working the same way .If you use one properly then it helps otherwise it will make some issues worse

rose-murray, Oct 13, 8:20am

eljayv, Oct 13, 8:42am
And from what I've read lots less expensive. VibroSlim I think it's called I've seen on tvsn and it is also availble locally at a better price. Plus some I've not heard of listed here.

crazynana, Oct 13, 11:06am
And in tiny wee words it says. "in conjunction with a healthy diet". It flashes on so quickly. Also if you want to lose weight faster get some of their fat burning tablets. If it was solely the wobbling that loses the weight take a look at the guys who drive those roading compactor machines and see how many of them are sknny. If it was just the wobbles some of those guys would be virtually invisible.

kitty179, Oct 13, 12:34pm
I believe that these vibration machines are still not properly researched as to possible ill effects on things such as the brain. I would proceed with caution.

buzzy110, Oct 13, 1:02pm
Never a truer word was written. In order to lose fat the body has to burn it in every cell in the body. You cannot just vibrate it away.

I can not see any muscle development benefit from vibrating either. To develop muscles you have to do the boring stuff like lifting weights, doing manual work or exercising.

rose-murray, Oct 13, 1:12pm
From link provided
Vibration training uses a fitness machine to vibrate the entire body, which acts to give the body a workout and tones muscle. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration has conducted studies focused on reducing muscle atrophy and bone loss in zero gravity environments, such as those faced by astronauts on long missions. The research found that the tiny vibrations produce nearly normal bone formation in rats. While NASA's research continues, vibration training is touted as a quick fix alternative to traditional strength training exercises.

Back Pain

Vibration has been recognized as a component in the development of back pain in people who experience long-term vibration, such as truck drivers and helicopter pilots. Vibration training may result in back pain. Vibration has two components – frequency and amplitude. In the same way you can shake your fist up and down, a vibration machine moves you up and down. The frequency is how fast you are shaking your hand. The amplitude is the distance your fist travels. According to the biomedical engineering department at Stony Brook University, high frequencies and large magnitudes associated with vibration over extended periods of time contribute to back pain.

Special Risks

At least one manufacturer of vibration training machines warns against people with certain conditions from using the machine. People who are pregnant, who have retinal detachment, blood clots and bone tumors should avoid vibration training. These people face special risks due to their conditions because of the effects of vibration. Although the vibration levels experienced in training machines may not cause damage, it is true that high levels of vibration of the human body can cause damage to bone and connective tissue, an unwelcome effect for a person suffering from a retinal detachment.

Brain Damage

Some people warn that vibration machines can result in brain damage and even death. Clinton Rubin, a biomedical engineering professor at State University of New York at Stony Brook, is concerned about the long-term exposure to vibration and says there is the risk of brain damage. This concern stems from the chronic exposure to vibration, which is different from the occasional workout. Nevertheless, much of the historical research on vibration was performed to minimize the exposure to vibration because it was recognized that chronic exposure poses a risk.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/273677-risks-of-vibration-training/

rose-murray, Feb 22, 1:58am
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/whole-body-vibration/faq-20057958
Is whole-body vibration a good way to lose weight and improve fitness?

Answers from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
Whole-body vibration can offer some fitness and health benefits, but it's not clear if it's as good for you as regular exercise.

With whole-body vibration, you stand, sit or lie on a machine with a vibrating platform. As the machine vibrates, it transmits energy to your body, forcing your muscles to contract and relax dozens of times each second. The activity may cause you to feel as if you're exerting yourself.

You may find a whole-body vibration machine at a local gym, or you can buy one for home use.

Advocates say that as little as 15 minutes a day of whole-body vibration three times a week may aid weight loss, burn fat, improve flexibility, enhance blood flow, reduce muscle soreness after exercise, build strength and decrease the stress hormone cortisol.

But comprehensive research about whole-body vibration is lacking. It's not yet clear if whole-body vibration provides the same range of health benefits as exercise you actively engage in, such as walking, biking or swimming.

Some research does show that whole-body vibration may help improve muscle strength and that it may help with weight loss when you also cut back on calories.

Whole-body vibration may also have a role beyond sports and fitness. Some research shows that whole-body vibration, when performed correctly and under medical supervision when needed, can:

Reduce back pain
Improve strength and balance in older adults
Reduce bone loss
Still, if you want to lose weight and improve fitness, enjoy a healthy diet and include physical activity in your daily routine. If you choose whole-body vibration, remember to do aerobic and strength training activities as well.

And because whole-body vibration can be harmful in some situations, check with your doctor before using it, especially if you're pregnant or have any health problems
So slightly differing opinions to the last post re back pain.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)