FAMILY DESPARATE FOR HELP Page 3 / 3

islandbreeze, Jun 13, 7:46pm
Hi everyone just got in to see a pediatrician she has diagnosed him with autism and adhd.
She has perscribed him with retilin. Not sure about this we have been looking at side effects.
Another health worker has recommended CBD oil.
What are your thoughts
We are desperate for him to feel better.

gerbil, Jun 14, 11:53pm
One of my children takes a stimulant - not ritalin but something similar. It has helped him concentrate in class. The main side effect for him is that his appetite is affected and he is quite thin. On the other hand, quite a lot of my family are naturally thin too. It helps for example, to give the ritalin after breakfast. Exercise can help the ADHD symptoms but I have never heard of a good hike doing anything for autism. As for the diet thing - there is something called the Feingold diet which is meant for ADHD children. It has absolutely nothing to do with restricting sugar - it is one of the few things that is allowed on the Feingold diet. Apparently some people have had success with the diet but it is extremely hard work and it helps if you like cabbage. It is extremely difficult to follow in practice because there is almost no processed food allowed,almost no fruit, and there are even restrictions on the vegetables you are allowed. We tried it - the whole family followed it - for several months and there was no discernible difference in his ability to concentrate. ADHD children do tend to calm down a bit as they mature - fairly rare to see a 15 years old jumping up and down on the spot. One of the things to accept is that there is no miracle cure or diet that is going to rewire their brains. What does help is medication and trying to instill coping strategies and habits. I remember giving my son medication for the first time and I sort of expected him to be completely different but he was just a calmer more focused version of him.

gerbil, Jun 15, 12:07am
Sorry to follow on from my long post but some people know that parents can be desperate and there are a whole lot of dubious things being sold. I think there is some evidence for fish oils but you have to take them for quite a long time before effects are seen and it brought my child out in hives. The Feingold diet isn't a money making thing either but I was shocked at the amount of other stuff being pushed. Whenever I found out about something that sounded promising I googled whatever it was with the word scam in the search.

islandbreeze, Jun 15, 11:25am
Thankyou Gerbil most interesting what is the medication they are on please

gerbil, Nov 5, 5:11pm
He takes dexamfetamine sulphate tablets. He did take rubifen rather than Ritalin initially - they are similar - but dexamfetamine medication seemed to suit him better. I think it is probably a bit better for the inattentive type of ADHD. ADHD has two components - attention deficit and hyperactivity. Children can be one or the other or a combination of the two. ADHD tends to have co-morbidities - like maybe dyslexia or fine motor skill problems. My son isn't dyslexic even though for ages he reversed his letters and numbers. He had trouble with p and q, b and d, and w and m. He wasn't dyslexic but just lacked a sense of place. He eventually grew out of the reversing of letters - he had occupational therapy but I don't know whether that helped or whether he just matured out of it. My son is doing NCEA level 2 this year and has worked incredibly hard to get there. Also, most ADHD children have very messy handwriting/printing and it's best to just aim for legibility and encourage use of a keyboard. I do remember the utter despair I felt when he was younger and struggled so much with things and just having to be encouraging and positive with him. The schools he has been to had SENCO people - special education needs co-ordinators -and he had reading recovery and a teacher aide to help him in primary school. Some schools are definitely better with this sort of thing than others. "Understanding ADHD" by Christopher Green and Kit Chee is a very helpful book written by medical doctors without quackery. It is very pro-medication but it gives practical advice. Good luck.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)