Mussel extract vs mussels

grrrahaaam, Jun 23, 8:01pm
I have read about the health benefits of green lipped mussels, particularly for oesteoarthritis. They are a good source of omega 3, amino acids and minerals. I have started buying them in the shell from the supermarket, boil/steam them and have a feed once a week. Must cost roughly about $5 for 500g (with out shell) by my calculations. Are the extracts likely to have more significant benefits to the real thing? One product claims each capsule contains the equivalent of 6 grams of mussels. I imagine taking it once a day rather than once a week would improve the uptake a bit.

oruff, Jun 24, 12:21pm
Cooked mussels have no benefit, must be eaten raw. I checked once with a maker of the pills & Iwould have to take about 20 pills to equal 1 raw mussel!

grrrahaaam, Jun 24, 1:17pm
I am not so keen on raw seafood. I am guessing the mineral content wouldn't be to influenced, possibly some would leach out. Could well be it effects the Omega 3 and some other beneficial components. I will try some raw, I might be able to mix some with other foods to make it tolerable. Wouldn't need to eat many to get the equivalent to capsules.

oruff, Jun 24, 1:44pm
Try with sweet chili sauce

grrrahaaam, Jun 24, 3:39pm
I did a search on how cooking effects omega 3's. It seems that opinion is divided. Some sources indicate cooking fish briefly doesn't ruin the fat content. The impression I get is briefly steaming mussels to open the shells won't oxidise the fat (less than 10 minutes cooking).

oruff, Jun 24, 3:45pm
It's not about omega3

grrrahaaam, Jun 24, 3:55pm
What is it about?

buzzy110, Jun 24, 5:03pm
My thoughts are that real food - i.e. mussels, are always preferable to a pill or something that has been highly processed.

In terms of cost, remember that your mussels are providing you with part of a meal. The supplement is not. You will still need to provide yourself with a meal.

Raw mussels are not to everyone's tastes so don't feel like you have to stomach them if you don't want. Omega 3 is available in many other foods.

I believe it takes 30mins at 150C to oxidise omega 3 so quick steaming probably doesn't affect the omega 3 in mussles. Another food you might like to consider is raw oily fish eaten sashimi style. You only need small amounts -

Finely slice and dip in a mix of sashimi soy (Mama San does a nice one) and cold pressed sesame oil which has small amounts of omega 3. Yumble.

Butter from grass fed cows (pretty much the NZ standard) has reasonable levels of omega 3.

grrrahaaam, Jun 24, 6:15pm
I agree with you buzzy. But does lightly cooked mussels have the same benefits for oesteoarthritis as the supplements. Oruff says it is not about the Omega which makes sense as it is claimed to be a superfood, if its just about the amino acids, minerals, and omegas these can be found in lots of other foods. I gather they freeze dry the mussels to make the capsules. Are the supplement manufacturers misleading in saying cooked mussels don't have the benefits their products have?

buzzy110, Jun 25, 3:07pm
Quite frankly I am very leery of all these superfood claims. For instance a lot of so called superfoods are supposedly high in antioxidants. Believe it or not, the body aims for homeostasis at all times. You can consume all the antioxidant rich food you like but over a certain level the body has no further use for them and just eliminates them resulting in expensive waste products.

I cannot, for the life of me, even understand why mussels are called a superfood. They are mussels, and like all other nutrients, once your body has assimilated what it needs for health and possible storage, it eliminates the rest.

I do not know how, or if, there are any benefits regarding OA to be gained from the consumption of mussels. All I know is that they are a reasonably healthy and tasty food to include in the diet. I see no benefit in substituting excellent food for a supplement.

Imo omega 3 is soooo important in todays omega 6 high diet whether you have OA or not. It is hardly a plentiful nutrient in today's diet so the risk of over-consumption is probably zero. It is important for all bodily functions so I would choose the product that has omega 3 over a supplement that doesn't. Those are just my thoughts.

But why does it have to be either or? You can eat mussels even if you take the supplement.

lythande1, Nov 1, 4:10pm
Neither works.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)