Detox is making me feel sick

I have gone wheat free, do not smoke anything and drink very little alcohol.
My diet is pretty good and I am not overweight. So you say I do not need a detox, but.
I have been diagnosed with mercury poisoning and elevated levels of tin and lead!
So I have been looking for cheap alternatives to help my liver, kidneys and skin to do the detox.
I am pretty sure the mercury comes from my dental amalgams and lead and tin perhaps from 20 years of smelling solder fumes as electronics technician.
So now I need to detox a bit faster than body would detox itself.
Before my diagnosis I started oil pulling which reduced my symptoms considerably. So I am doing it every morning.
Other low cost detox I am doing is mineral foot spa in the morning and clay detox.
I would swim in the sea and have sauna more often if I could.
What I am saying is that you do need in some cases to give your body a bit of help and do detox. It does not need to cost a lot and in my case I have not spend huge amounts to some therapists who promise more than deliver.
Slightly sceptic and open mind with Google is your best friend :) Also some of the advise here is worth more than doctors visit.

Beauty_gadgetman, Mar 24, 3:53 pm

GREEN TEA! is yuk but helps

Beauty_trojanwarrior1, Mar 24, 3:57 pm

I gave up caffiene, and in a bid to get a little bit healthier, I went to the health shop and got a detox and cleanse 3 in 1 , digestion, liver function, bowel health, by nutralife, everytime i have it , it makes me feel queasy and like i want to throw up, is this normal! I have never done one before

Beauty_pooks3, Jun 28, 1:46 pm

Why are you doing it!It sounds awful.

Why not just cut out items with additives and/or added sugars and eat good nutritious food.

Beauty_nfh1, Jun 28, 2:19 pm

Coming off caffeine alone will make you feel terrible.I suggest you wait a week after you've stopped the caffeins to do a detox cleanse.However detoxing can happen in many ways - through juicing, taking probiotics, even taking cod liver oil nfh1.Health shops sometimes have items which seem like a good idea but are really there just to waste your money.There are better ways with good food.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 2:36 pm

Hahaha vmax!

Beauty_nfh1, Jun 28, 2:38 pm

A healthy liver is a well-designed detox unit.

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 28, 3:33 pm

But then if the liver has been badly treated you need to do some healing in that area in order for it to return to its good detoxing ability.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 3:35 pm

Yes Ellie - agree 100%.
OP - if you don't feel well, then listen to your body and ditch the detox.
Keep up the caffeine-free though.

Beauty_bedazzledjewels, Jun 28, 3:38 pm

And if your stomach lining also has holes in it, good detoxing, followed by a healing diet is also important.

Beauty_buzzy110, Jun 28, 3:39 pm

if your stomach lining has holes in it you'd be in a pretty serious condition in hospital!

eta: agree with the posters about your body being set up to detox without buying a whole lot of detox systems. That's one of the many jobs of the liver.

Beauty_princess52, Jun 28, 3:42 pm

No, it means leaky gut syndrome.Many people in this modern world have it due to a poor diet, health conditions and environmental toxins.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 3:43 pm

I know that. I also know that's it another of the alternative medicine scientifically unproven conditions. Hence my post! If you have a leaky gut, you would be in a serious condition in hospital

Beauty_princess52, Jun 28, 3:48 pm

Yes, and many people are hospitalized for illnesses which could be healed by simply healing the gut.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 3:50 pm

http://gapsguide.com/about/conditions-addressed-by-gaps/

All these conditions listed can be healed by healing the gut.It will also heal the liver.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 3:53 pm

http://gapsguide.com/about/conditions-addressed-by-gaps/

All these conditions listed can be healed by healing the gut.It will also heal the liver.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 3:53 pm

it is more to do with age actually.

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 28, 3:59 pm

Children also get leaky gut syndrome.Many children with illnesses have leaky gut.Children with autism have leaky gut.Age is to do with lack of enzymes which help us digest our food.They decrease as we get older.That is why fermented food is so important.It helps us digest our food.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 28, 4:40 pm

Drink lots of water, and it should soon pass.it may be your liver getting rid of bad stuff.Just like the term."Shi**tY Liver".a squeeze of lemon helps too in the water.(warm water is better).take care

Beauty_hails1, Jun 28, 4:51 pm

No princess what you'd have is Leaky Gut syndrome. Probably something you have if I read all of your medical problems correctly. A poster in Recipes, for instance, tells everyone that she has been diagnosed with holes in her stomach lining and she is not in hospital. Neither are all the other sufferers of auto-immune disease.

I too, agree that buying detox stuff is money down the loo. A healthy detox should involve the consumption of nutrient rich foods derived from primary produce.

Beauty_buzzy110, Jun 28, 4:58 pm

The problem with some on here is self-diagnosis or messageboard diagnosis. An extremely dangerous practice.

Beauty_kay141, Jun 28, 5:03 pm

i;ve tried a couple of these types of things and ended up throwing up for days, my body doesnt tolerate things like spirulina or alfalfa and many of the herbs etc used in these sort of remedies.personally i would ditch them and just eat healthy and you wont need a detox.doesnt the body detox itself without the need for buying a product!.

Beauty_janine18, Jun 28, 6:12 pm

The reason you feel sick when doing a cleanse is because the toxins are being "drawn" out from the body. A lot of cleanses or detoxes consist of taking a high fibre substance (such as pysillum husk) as the toxins bind to these and then are able to excreted. With so many processed foods these days we don't get enough fibre so the toxins are being recirculated instead of excreted. This is exacerbated by conditions such as leaky gut.

Beauty_angel404, Jun 28, 8:09 pm

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 28, 9:08 pm

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 28, 9:08 pm

Oh really! Again, this poster makes things up as she goes along. You have no clue on proper detox whatsoever, nor do you have any clue about something mentioned in the recipe section. I will thank you not to bandy about a load of rubbish in regards to me thank you.

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 28, 9:29 pm

I would say you have done too much too soon. You need to ease into a detox gently. Giving up coffee cold turkey will make you feel bad enough. Then add to that, a detox, no wonder you are feeling so bad. A good suggestion would be to Google Dr Sandra Cabot and the liver cleansing diet, it is well worth reading and the information comes from someone perfectly qualified to do so.

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 28, 9:31 pm

What a load of poop, pun intended.

Autistic children do not all have a leaky gut, and neither is autism curable by GAPS or indeed any other diet. Autism is a complex neurological condition caused by a range of conditions, it is not "curable" by changing diet (frankly, it's not "curable" at all in any simplistic sense).

If you don't know about the high levels of controversy around the GAPS diet - particularly with autism - you might find this informative: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/08/01/gaps-in-a-doctors-reasoning-about-vaccines/ .

Please be more careful about spreading misinformation about autism, there are a lot of vulnerable parents out there.

Beauty_marksean, Jun 29, 1:08 pm

What a load of poop, pun intended.

Autistic children do not all have a leaky gut, and neither is autism curable by GAPS or indeed any other diet. Autism is a complex neurological condition caused by a range of conditions, it is not "curable" by changing diet (frankly, it's not "curable" at all in any simplistic sense).

If you don't know about the high levels of controversy around the GAPS diet - particularly with autism - you might find this informative: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/08/01/gaps-in-a-doctors-reasoning-about-vaccines/ .

Please be more careful about spreading misinformation about autism, there are a lot of vulnerable parents out there.

Beauty_marksean, Jun 29, 1:08 pm

Agree!

Beauty_princess52, Jun 29, 1:12 pm

This is why sceptics must not be deterred from posting on the MBs even ifthey are an irritant to some others.Some prolific posters get a following of 'believers' simply because they shout the loudest.

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 29, 1:21 pm

I agree about stopping caffeine straight away. you can feel yuck from that alone. depending how much you drink per day, it be better to cut down rather than cold turkey. for e,g. if you drink 5 cups coffee per day, cut down to 4 for 3 or 4 days then 3 for a few more days etc.

if you're wanting to detox, best way to do it is support your liver to do it's job, which is to detox. milk thistle does this really well, helps liver to repair itself. someone said about self diagnosis being dangerous, I agree with that. if you're wanting to do health change, best that you consult with nutritionist or herbalist/naturopath. they are trained to pick up symptoms and signs, naturopaths and nutritionists do iridology (iris diagnosis). which will tell you immediately if there's stuff that needs fixing. :) also agree about the lemon and warm water 1st thing in morning. it's a natural digestion support and is good for tummy and liver etc. also need to consider kidneys when doing any thing new/detox cos they also have to cope with extra toxins etc coming out of blood, so long story short, see a professional before you do anything else :)

Beauty_noyzeegirl, Jun 29, 1:31 pm

Maybe it didn't work for you marksean but it works for many people.There is another poster on TM who has also shared her experiences of greatlyimproving or even curing her children of autism.I think that if there is a chance that it works there is hope.I know it works for many conditions and have seen it work first hand for mood disorders and many other conditions.I see no harm in giving out information on a diet that will improve health and life itself.And for those who have never tried it, don't knock it till you do.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 29, 1:32 pm

Read the link I gave you. Please. For your own sake. Because it also addresses some of the types of arguments you're employing here about anecdotal evidence. I also think you'd greatly benefit from reading an excellent book called "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre, which goes through some of the ways to spot poor science and how to recognise poorly supported claims.

Beauty_marksean, Jun 29, 2:04 pm

vmax, with all due respect, please dont go down the track of your diet as a "cure-all for every illness going.

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 29, 2:09 pm

All I can say again is don't knock it till you have tried it.I am the winner here because I have tried it and turned my life around.Pity others wouldn't have the same commitment to changing what they are doing.

Beauty_vmax2, Jun 29, 2:15 pm

By your reasoning, you should try everything in order to decide first whether it works or not. There is a reason we have scientific studies which control for placebo effects, harmful side effects, correlation versus causation etc.

Beauty_marksean, Jun 29, 2:26 pm

That really is THEIR business don't you think!

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 29, 2:38 pm

There are always some who think their diet is the answer to all the world's health problems. It is a pity most of them are fanatics and can't see both sides of a debate.

Beauty_kay141, Jun 29, 2:41 pm

There is interesting literature out about how many fad alternative medical theories take hold and how to spot them. I read a book called "Suckers" which was fascinating. Someone also sent me a link last week about how to spot the garbage but I don't think I kept it.

Beauty_princess52, Jun 29, 2:52 pm

.and in the meantime, vmax2, have a look at this link.

http://www.badscience.net/

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 29, 4:16 pm

.and in the meantime, vmax2, have a look at this link.

http://www.badscience.net/

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 29, 4:16 pm

Interesting book, especially when he gets stuck in to Dr (not medical) Gillian McKeith!

Beauty_bedazzledjewels, Jun 29, 4:30 pm

I thought detoxing was a 'have' and actually quite dangerous for your body

Beauty_mottly, Jun 29, 4:42 pm

Not if done properly

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 29, 4:48 pm

Many people with doctorate degrees fudge the fact that their degree has nothing to do with their publications (especially those science journalists who publish books on medicine and nutrition!).Some would like you to believe that their honorific 'Doctor' actually meant medical doctor.

A few years ago the national government appointed an MP with an irrelevant doctorate to be Minister of Health, possibly hoping to fool the gullible.

Beauty_elliehen, Jun 29, 4:52 pm

so, instead of buying 'wonder cures', cutting out processed foods, and eating lots of fruit and veg!

Beauty_mottly, Jun 29, 4:58 pm

One of my friends is both. PhD and medical Dr. I call her drdr and it's a running joke that she did it to get a doctor's carpark lol

Beauty_princess52, Jun 29, 5:01 pm

not to start with. You dont want to overload the system.

Beauty_cookessentials, Jun 29, 5:07 pm

Many years ago I knew a medical doctor with the surname Doctor who had married a nurse with the surname "Nurse" So we had a Doctor Doctor wedding a Nurse Nurse.

Beauty_hezwez, Jun 29, 10:16 pm