Nail polish chipping, how to prevent? Page 1 out of 2

I use OPI polish and although it is my favourite brand I find my nail polish chips especially when I use the computer each day. Other brands would probably chip more. How could I prevent this! I hate to have chipped polish so remove it when this happens.Do I definitely need two coats and should I be usingtop coat (clear)

Beauty_dollydot, Jan 1, 2012, 7:15 pm

I get OPI Axxium manicures every 3-4 weeks, I would never have polish again.

Beauty_micfee, Jan 1, 2012, 7:21 pm

I use OPI - base coat 2 coats of colour and tiop coat - I am currently using revlon base and top coat saves on number of bottles. Then I appliy a clear top coat every night . I usually get a working week from my nails.

Not wearing polish at moment as my nails are all soft and flaking- not good.

Beauty_mica3, Jan 1, 2012, 7:24 pm

Another OPI fan here ( 30 colours in my bathroom cupboard). I do 2 coats & run the brush across the top of nail to seal the edge. Then a coat of Seche Vite Top Coat (from the trader beyondbeauty on here). It's so much better than OPI's top coat as it is thicker & self levels on the nail. Also touch dries very quickly.

Beauty_sue1955, Jan 1, 2012, 7:28 pm

Orly Bonder is fantastic for avoiding chipping. It contains a plasticiser which not only helps the polish stick but it also evens out any minor flaws in the nail plate.
Other things you can do to extend the life of your polish would be to wear gloves when doing housework etc.

Beauty_golfpunkgal, Jan 1, 2012, 9:09 pm

Great ideas here thanks. Oh sue 30 OPI colours, lucky you!I love all the colour range.I have found trader beyondbeauty recently also, : ) Will look into getting a top coat. Do you all use a base coat! Are they clear!I haven't actually used one before. My nails are strong and healthy but can look slightly ridged so base coat might even that out!

Beauty_dollydot, Jan 1, 2012, 9:18 pm

Don't wear nail polish.

Beauty_trogedon, Jan 2, 2012, 6:16 am

Ditto to Orly Bonder, this is the base coat I use.

I 'prepare' the nail by using a buffing block, then my base coat, then two coats of polish, then a top coat.

Also make sure that before you start putting even the base on, go over your natural nail with nail polish remover to remove any moisturiser or natural oils this helps to make the polish 'stick' better.

Beauty_seb28, Jan 2, 2012, 7:23 am

dollydot wrote:
Great ideas here thanks. Oh sue 30 OPI colours, lucky you!I love all the colour range.I have found trader beyondbeauty recently also, : ) Will look into getting a top coat. Do you all use a base coat! Are they clear!I haven't actually used one before. My nails are strong and healthy but can look slightly ridged so base coat might even that out![/quote

Seb28 knows what she's talking about. You could try OPI Ridge Filler. It's a bit thicker than their normal base coats & is a light/cream colour. I find it good if I want to use it under a sheer colour as you don't need so many coats to get a good coverage. Have you looked at opi.com! It's a good way to see what colours are next to come into the shops.

Beauty_sue1955, Jan 2, 2012, 8:06 am

i lock in my opi normal nail polish by using uv base coat and uv top coat, then adding colour then applying another layer of top colour. no chipping ever. making my nails strong and my colours truly last the distance over two weeks easy

Beauty_bennyedlund_, Jan 2, 2012, 11:31 am

benny is the uv base coat and top coat an OPI product!I would love to get two weeks out of my nails, would save a lot of time.

Beauty_dollydot, Jan 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Sealing the polish along the edge helps - or get your nails done in Gelish - I do mine and can go for 3 weeks with no chipping. I type all day at my job aswel.

Beauty_nalacat, Jan 24, 2012, 9:10 pm

I have shellac. It doesn't chip at all!

Beauty_princess52, Jan 24, 2012, 9:24 pm

Go to doctor and get a course of Vitamin D tablets it hardens up your nails and makes your hair grow as well.

Beauty_kara101, Jan 24, 2012, 9:24 pm

Bit off topic, but are you on facebook !If so check out "do you love nail polish", this is where I get my OPI and she's fantastic, very helpful and awesome service.I've never had any luck with a base or top coat so I'll try these suggestions too.

Beauty_kim-maree1, Jan 25, 2012, 9:14 am

I reapply clear top coat every other day and get 8-10 days.
Shellac good to usually get that applied when off on holiday and dont want to think about nail mainataince :)

Beauty_mica3, Jan 25, 2012, 9:43 am

i'm another OPI fan, but my problem at the moment is "how the hell are people removing the new glitter ones!".I find it so hard to get off it puts me off using it, but with a 6 year old daughter it all shes wants to use, any suggestions!

Beauty_becky4711, Jan 25, 2012, 11:17 am

Dab a cotton ball in nail polish remover and put it on your nail then wrap the end of your finger in tin foil, leave on for a few minutes, when you unwrap it, it should be easier to remove.Now I've never tried this because I stay away from the thick glitter ones because of how hard it is to remove, but that's what the lady on do you love nail polish on facebook tells everyone to do.

Beauty_kim-maree1, Jan 25, 2012, 1:34 pm

Princess do you need to get shellac applied professionally or can you buy it and apply it yourself!

Beauty_dollydot, Jan 25, 2012, 5:56 pm

Thanks kim I'm on Facebook so will look there too.

Beauty_dollydot, Jan 25, 2012, 5:58 pm

sponsored links

Leave a comment No registration required

Comment required
Your nickname optional
You are not a robot, are you?

Enter what you see above required